Sunday, November 30, 2014

Families United





A situation occurred during the first couple of hours of me arriving in Arizona for my mother’s funeral.  The details of the event are not important only to say that I could have gotten angry and upset about the comments that were made, especially since they were made without merit and things were attributed to me that were not accurate, in fact, not true.

It was out of character for me to not get defensive and speak my mind, but at the moment that it happened, my conscience said “it doesn’t matter.”  What is important is that, as a family, we stand united.  And my idea of united was to let something flow off of my shoulders and onto the floor.

It is amazing how much I have grown over the years.  I have expanded my thought and have been in a position to learn great things.  And I learned how to share those things.  By example.  You cannot always teach by spoken word especially if that word is spoken in anger.

I addressed the issue with humor.  It works for me.

In not responding angrily I was able to stay in the conversation and help to move it forward.  As a contributor you have much more leverage than if you are in open opposition.

While I have not yet perfected this formula it continues to be a work in progress.  But then so am I.

If I didn’t know better, I would say politics was in my future.  Ah….Ha Ha?

No comments:

Post a Comment