Friday, November 7, 2014

Keeping Portland Weird?



11-07-14   Keeping Portland Weird?

I had all sorts of preconceived notions when I rolled into Portland.  I think if it had been solely in the hands of Cynthia, we would have put our roots down much farther south.  Of course it was initially her idea to move here, but over time, and with some thought on her part, I believe she decided that this was going to be too large of a city in which to feel comfortable.  But me?  I was going to keep her to her original desire.  Why?  Who the Hell knows.  I thought that perhaps there was some divine reason that Portland would be our new home.  I even set out to work for a specific company almost 3 years prior to our move.  And sure enough, I am working there.  I told the Universe what I expected and then made it happen.  What I forgot to do was to be specific about the “job,” the “pay,” and the responsibilities associated with it.
 
So here I am working minimal part time hours for a lot less pay than I am worth and for several reasons that I did not consider when I forced the move.

If you know the metaphor of the Big Fish/Little Sea then you know that sometimes you become the Little Fish in the Big Sea.  What made Portland attractive for me (opportunity to be connected to media, entertainment, celebrities on a large scale), was the same thing that made it attractive to every other media person looking to make a big splash.  So consequently, everyone and his brother is here looking for their 15 minutes of fame.  I, on the other hand, am looking for more than 15 minutes.  But now I stand in line with hundreds of others with 10, 20, or 30 years of experience.  Yet what I realize is that none of them are better or worse than me, they have just been here longer.

Not a problem.

I have a plan.  I am not going to wait around for the radio rapture!  I will do what I do and I will do it with the help of the internet.  After all, it is going to be the next revolution of radio.  At it is available to anyone who wants to take the chance to make it happen!

So now that I have said it…I must make it happen.  

 Here Goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment