Saturday, November 15, 2014

Write What You Know!

Write What You Know.



To see those words together is very daunting for me.  I have been incredibly blessed with desire for knowledge since I sat in front of book shelves in my parent’s living room reading the Encyclopedia Britannica.  I love so many things and so many different topics, but when I woke this morning and opened my Facebook page I saw a video of Danish violinist Andre Rieu.  He was talking about a Waltz that he had received from an unknown composer (unknown to the music world, but not the film world).  He told the story of how this man called him and told him about his composition created more than 50 years ago.  The man was Sir Anthony Hopkins.

From a beautiful setting in Vienna, Austria, the orchestra played the waltz.  As I listened my eyes began to tear up.  I am not exactly sure if it was because of the story, the music, or the combination of both.  What I did realize at that moment was that Music has always played an important role in my life.  And the interesting thing is that it was never one “kind” of music.  It was ALL kinds.

I grew up hearing, in the background of my activities, the music of the Big Band era.  My father loved Glenn Miller.  He also loved Hank Williams, Johnny Ray, Louie Armstrong, and Frank Sinatra (and so many others).  I would even watch old musicals with my parents where I fell in love with the music of Singing in the Rain and the Wizard of Oz.  Then there was the music of my older siblings.  I remember stack after stack of 45’s from the early 60’s.  The Beach Boys, the Beatles, the Guess Who, the Doors, and many more.

When I had money of my own I began to create my own collection with hit makers of the 70’s while still making time for the classics.  Then when I got into high school I discovered Classical music, Opera, and the soundtracks of blockbuster movies.  I remember conducting in my room to Jerry Goldsmith’s Patton, John William’s epic theme to Star Wars, and Bill Conti’s Rocky.  I think you get the gist.

It did not stop there though…I had kids!  So naturally I listened to their music and I enjoyed it also.

My life has been a love affair with music.  Playing it, singing it, writing it.  It is the one thing, that when all else is bleak, I can turn to for a laugh, a smile, a feeling of purpose.  So with all confidence, I know that I can write about Music!  Oh…and a few other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment