Friday, December 26, 2014

Tears? Yeah, so what?



Every year it happens.  Without fail.  I watch the ultimate Christmas movie and I am moved to tears.  Not just at the end, but scene after scene stirs something in my soul that I cannot explain.  I try to break it down every year, but as of yet I have not figured it out.   I know that my wife thinks that something must be wrong with me (in a playful way).  And I think she may be on to something.

I have no idea if there are other people out there that do the same thing.  I have never really asked my friends.  But time after time there will be a seemingly innocuous scene in a movie that will stir emotions I did not even sense were there.  It can be a reaction to a truly emotional moment or not at all.   A boy and his dog...a father and son...and EXPLOSION with someone looking on.

I am sure that there is something in my past that I have yet to recognize.  If not in this lifetime, perhaps one from long ago.  Whatever it is I am almost certain (yet as I said I have not figured it out) that it has something to do with the fact that my childhood was spent exploring the desert of Arizona and NOT spending a whole lot of time with family members.

As family's go, I would not consider mine dysfunctional in the extreme sense...but certainly there was somewhat of an emotional disconnect.  One that follows me to this day.  So much so that when I see a reenactment of an emotional moment it moves me.

I get a lot of jabs from people that accompany me to the movies.  My stepson is always commenting on my "pain."  But secretly?  I think he's just hiding his own emotions!

So I am sure that I will continue to watch movies, continue to emote randomly, and continue to be razzed by my friends and relatives.

To that I say: "SO WHAT!"

I am okay with it.  In fact...I feel alive when it happens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment