Sunday, December 7, 2014

Is It Truth Because I Say It Is?



Convincing someone you are right – doesn’t make you right.

Working for a station that is news oriented in the morning and then turns to talk for the mid-morning and mid-afternoon slots I hear it all the time.  The pundit, in this case a libertarian by his own admission but leaning to a more Earl Grey approach (if you catch my drift), makes a statement that could easily be incorrect.  A caller weighs in with the opposing viewpoint and then gets picked apart with a convincing argument.  The first thing I noticed is that the caller is not provided the opportunity to respond to each point.  Not a surprise though, that’s kind of how it works in Talk Radio.   But as the host unfurls his opinion he does so with very convincing delivery based on a set of talking points.

As I listen the voice inside my head is going: “but what about…” and “that’s not completely true!”  and some “no, afraid not!”

Now I will be the first to admit that some of my information and knowledge might be a little skewed as well, but I tend to listen to both sides of an argument and then do my own research.  I prefer to formulate my opinions from a multitude of sources, because I have learned that truth lies somewhere in between the extremes.

The difficulty arises when there is not a multitude of sources or enough discussion on both sides of the spectrum.  And it is exacerbated by the fact that people who have a slant in either direction tend to only hear the side that mirrors their slant.

There is truth on both sides should you choose to hear it, but no one side has the total truth.  And sadly enough we will never be ruled in truth as long as doctrine is given a greater weight.

But shame on those who mislead with opinions that make them look right when the truth says otherwise.  History is riddled with people that have convinced others they were right when they were wrong.  And not once did it turn out well!

No comments:

Post a Comment