Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Labels! Who Needs Them?



Repubicratatariandent!

 
I hate labels.  Maybe that’s because there isn’t one for my political slant.  And don’t misunderstand me.  I do not flip flop.  I have a hard-fast set of standards that I adhere to politically.  What is most difficult is explaining that to anyone in a short paragraph.  And isn’t that what we are told to do?  When stating a position: be succinct.  I have listened to professors, headhunters (the kind that find you employment – I’m not sure what the other kind preaches), and the like tell me “you have to get them in the first paragraph, otherwise you’ve lost them.”

So to those of you who remain, I thank you.

A two party system was great when there were basically only two ways to think.  Now since I do not remember any of my past lives in early America I am not sure what those two points of view were, but I am guessing that it was loosely based on career choices rather than personal beliefs about God and the economy.  Let me say, for arguments sake, that it was based on Industrial vs. agricultural.  Mainly because it make sense to me.  For the most part, people in the early days of America had similar beliefs.  Not the same…but similar.  But as time went on and people from around the globe came to make this their home, their beliefs also came with them giving America its moniker: the Melting Pot.

Then years of strife, upheaval, and social enlightenment began to change the underlying makeup of our society, and the need for change occurred.  It was no longer cut and dry.  Different cultures and different religions began to permeate a tightly woven social fabric.  The idea of teaching about the possible existence of another type of deity or prophet that existed was heresy to the core inhabitants of the land (I say core…not indigenous).  The working society became the ‘handout’ society.  We treated our own like second class citizens.  And the division widened and splintered.  “Cut and Dry” is now “scattered, smothered and covered.”

We are now in our two hundred and thirty eighth year of the two party system and it is basically still serving two political philosophies.  The problem is that the two philosophies make up a very small percentage of the actual social climate.  And yet religion continues to be the biggest schism that divides the populace.

So now I attempt to bring it full circle (since I have exceeded my self-imposed word limit). 

I cannot see myself locked into a Republican or Democrat ideology.  Both have sane points to them but the underlying philosophies of each are greatly flawed.  Likewise any other party that is treading water out there is similarly blemished.  So I declare my own.  The Repubicratatariandent!  Which, by the way, is also uniquely mottled.

The following phrase has been modified to suit my purpose:  “Any Party that would have me as a constituent…”


No comments:

Post a Comment