Saturday, February 7, 2015

My Christian Heritage. (or how Obama 'killed' it)

My Christian Heritage.

I come from a long line of the church going masses.  I don’t know that I should use the word Christian here, because some of my protestant brethren still do not consider Catholicism to be “Christian” (but that’s their issue).  But after the uproar from the “Right” as a result of Obama’s comments at the National Prayer Breakfast I have to interject.

“Me Thinks thou doth protest too much!”

You can try to rewrite history all you want.  You can justify your heritage as ‘’fighting’ infidels or whatever excuse you want to use, but the ‘Church’ killed a lot of people.  And it wasn’t just the Spanish Inquisition.  The Protestants got involved too when they decided to burn “witches” or take on slaves (many which died at the hands of their Christian masters).

Who are we really kidding here?  Ourselves.  But I don’t write this as a condemnation of the Christian religions or as a “pass” for the Muslim faith.  I merely wish to point out that we get so bent out of shape over religion that it becomes a point of contention is someone believes differently…or not at all.  There are Christians that want to mount up and go kill Muslims in retaliation for a few radical extremists.

This is what is infuriating.  God, Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha (granted he is a philosopher), etc, none of them taught violence as a means to an end.  Now, granted, the Jewish faith of old was pretty much based on that tenet, but even today I think you would be hard pressed to find someone to blanketly support the utter annihilation of non-believers as the old testament dictated.

What is really going on here is the denial of fact in order to push an agenda.  Obama did not lie, he did not alter the facts, he merely made a correlation between two extremes that are a matter of historical fact.  I am NOT a Muslim, and yet I know his comments to be fact-based and poignant.

If you don’t like the guy…don’t like him.  Fine.  I take issues with many of his decisions as I did with many other presidents.  But I will not impune him for making it real.


How about we start living our faith(s) based on the preachings of its founders and not its followers.  It just might make for a better world.  It says something when non-believers live more Christ-like than the Christians that profess.

No comments:

Post a Comment