Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Building.

Have you ever built something?  You had this great idea in your head and you map it out.  First you check to see if you have the proper tools.  Hammer, saw, tape measure, square, chisel, it all seems to be there.  Then you think: a table saw would be better than a circular saw, but what the heck, you can do it.   Then you put the list of things you need to buy.  Wood, nails, screws, wood glue, dowels, whatever you need to complete your project.

Off you go to the local hardware store and purchase the raw products, strap them to the roof of your car and bring them home, where you amass everything together on your deck or in your garage and begin the task of building.

Now not everyone has the skill to build something, but one thing I learned about myself is that never stopped me.  I forged ahead with all the confidence of a master builder.  What I ultimately discovered is that no matter what I decided to build there was always a moment when I thought the “thing” I was building was too difficult.  There were moments of deconstruction, re-measuring, re-cutting, re-shopping for the piece I cut incorrectly or the “right” size nails.  I haven’t done this with every project, but enough of them to know at some point I might have to go to the store for something I forgot.  But if I was willing, and somewhat patient, when I was finished there would be something for which I could be proud.  It wasn’t always the most beautiful, but it was always functional for its intended use.

I cannot, in recent history, remember a project that I just left on the garage floor and walked away.  Perhaps there were times when it would have served me to just pile the wood in the corner and forget it, but I couldn’t.  Too much invested in time, materials, sweat, and sometimes a little blood, and besides, even with each one containing their own ‘Persian flaw’ I was proud of what I built.

Life is sort of like building something.  Hell, it’s a lot like it.  It’s not always easy.  You often don’t have the right tools to do it perfect.  You might have to go to the store to get the things you forgot or to replace something you really screwed up, but in the end, when you look at it, there is a moment of pride when you realized that you did a pretty good job.

The difference in life and building is that sometimes you are on the garage floor scratching your head trying to figure out how your plans are not exactly like the finished product, but still happy that you managed it all by yourself.  While in life, if you are smart enough and humble enough, you can turn to someone and say “hey!  How about a little help?”

“Hey! How about a little help?”


No comments:

Post a Comment