Tuesday, May 26, 2015

"My name is George Henry and I'm a Television Addict...

It’s the post-season – pre-season nothing good on TV blues…

My wife asked me ‘why have you been in such a funk lately?’

I have had the chance to think about it and I have successfully eliminated the minutia surrounding the real reason.  It’s not that I have been almost a month without sugar.  It’s not that I am starting a new chapter in my career today, and it’s not the weather.

It’s the Television!

Sweet addiction, why have you left me lonely?

In the past couple of weeks I have seen the end of the season to some of my favorite shows on the boob tube.  I have also seen the cancellation of shows that were good and now I will never have closure on those stories.  And the next chapter of good television is almost three weeks out. 

I am in Television Purgatory!

I have a long list of shows that I watch with passionate intent.  Castle, Blue Bloods, Hawaii Five-O, and a long list of others.  Each one is on hiatus as they write new episodes.  In the meantime my favorite “off” season shows have yet to begin.  I am impatiently waiting for Suits, Rizolli and Isles, Royal Pains, and assorted others to give me some evening relaxation.

It is not a completely dry spell because a popular book trilogy by Blake Crouch was made into a series (Wayward Pines) and is showing once a week for ten weeks.  But HEY, it’s one hour a week!  I simply cannot survive on one hour of good television a week.

Now I know that you probably think I need to get a life outside of television, but the truth is I have one.  I work around the house, I go daily to the beach, I sometimes write ‘stuff,’ and I trim my toenails.

Last night, though, I found myself glued to American Ninja Warrior and that is when it was confirmed in my head that I am an addict.  How could anyone sit through 2 hours of that stuff and not be totally numbed to the real world.
I have decided to seek some counseling.  The trouble is that there are no shows on television that feature psychotherapy in their story lines.  So I guess until they do an hour drama on the life of Sigmund Freud, I have to continue to self-medicate with Alaskan Bush People!  God help me!
#Suits, #Elementary, #Castle, #Wayward Pines


No comments:

Post a Comment